Medical Record Coder, NHCP, Camp Pendleton, CA, US, ID#18272
Cherokee Nation Operational Solutions (CNOS) provides a complete line of medical equipment and supplies along with innovative office products and services to businesses and health care facilities throughout North America. Wholly owned by Cherokee Nation, Cherokee Nation Operational Solutions is part of the Cherokee Nation Businesses’ family of companies.
For more company information, visit our site at http://cherokee-os.com/Pages/Home.aspx
Cherokee Nation Operations Solutions has been contracted to support DoD Healthcare Management System Modernization (DHMSM) program with their conversion to new Electronic Health Record (EHR) system. Support will be given to site clinical resources for conversion and cutover activities.
We are looking for Medical Record Coders who will code records for Military Treatment Facilities (MTFs). Responsible for assignment of accurate Evaluation and Management (E&M) codes, ICD diagnoses, current procedural terminology (CPT) and Healthcare Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS), modifiers and quantities derived from medical record documentation (paper or electronic) for outpatient encounters. Trains and educates MTF staff on coding issues and plays a significant role in coding compliance activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Position requires excellent computer/communication skills for provider and staff interactions.
- Knowledge of anatomy/physiology and disease process, medical terminology, coding guidelines (outpatient), documentation requirements, familiarity with medications and reimbursement guidelines; and encoder experience.
- Candidate must have ability to handle multiple projects and appropriately prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Manually enter data for patient data whose record transfer did not occur.
- Check source documents for accuracy within EHR.
- Verify data and correct data where necessary.
- Obtain further information for incomplete documents.
- Update data and delete unnecessary files.
- Ensure referrals are dispositioned.
- Manual entry of patient ancillary appointments.
- Combine and rearrange data from source documents where required.
- Enter data from source documents into prescribed computer database, files and forms.
- Transcribe information into required electronic format.
- Scan documents into document management systems or databases.
- Coordinate in a professional and courteous manner with patients and clinic staffs to resolve patient issues and concerns.
- Check completed work for accuracy.
- Perform other duties as required or assigned.
- No supervisory/management authority.
EDUCATON AND EXPERIENCE
- The following are recognized certifications: Registered Health Information Technologist (RHIT), Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Certified Professional Coder (CPC) CCS-P (Certified Coder Specialist – Physician (CCS-P) with the appropriate level of experience. An accrediting institution recognized by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and/or American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) must accredit education Prepare, compile and sort documents for data entry within a DoD approved EHR system.
- Contract medical coders will obtain the required continued education hours at no expense to the government in order to maintain current and proper national certification(s) required for the position. Experience.
- A minimum of three year experience in the outpatient setting (physician’s office or ambulatory surgery centers) within the last five years, including assignment of E&M, CPT, and HCPCS codes.
- Multiple specialties encompass different medical specialties (i.e. Family Practice, Pediatrics, Gastroenterology, OB/GYN, etc.) that utilize ICD, E&M, CPT, and HCPCS codes. Ancillary specialties (PT/OT, Radiology, Lab, Nutrition, etc.) that usually do NOT use E&M codes do not count as qualifying experience.
- Additionally, coding, auditing and training exclusively for specialties such as home health, skilled nursing facilities, and rehabilitation care will not be considered as qualifying experience.
- Coding experience limited to making codes conform to specific payer requirements for the business office (insurance billing, accounts receivable) is not a qualifying factor. Two years of outpatient/ambulatory surgery experience may be qualifying if received in a military medical facility.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal and telephone communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Typing speed of 40 words per minute
- Excellent customer service skills & pleasant phone voice
- Able to handle high volume of calls and customer contacts in a polite and professional manner
- Able to talk on telephone and type at the same time
- U.S. citizenship and the ability to pass security clearance
- Common Access Card (CAC) Required or recently held active CAC.
- Responsible for assignment of accurate E&M, ICD, CPT and HCPCS codes and modifiers from medical record documentation. Identifies and abstracts information from medical records (paper or electronic) for special studies and audits, internal and external. Interacts with MTF staff to ensure documentation is clear and supports coding assignments.
- Educates MTF staff through individual or group in-services and training sessions.
- Maintains a delinquency report of missing records in order to facilitate completion of work within the required thresholds.
- Armed Forces Health Longitudinal Technology Application (AHLTA) Composite Health Care systems (CHCS) and/or MHS GENESIS Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS); Military Filing System – by sponsor social security number, terminal digit order, color-coded and blocked filing system.
- Contents of a military medical record, layout, sections, family member prefix designation, forms used in a MTF, and the medical record tracking procedures. EssentrisTM, the client-server version of the Clinical Information System (CIS) Coding Compliance Editor (CCE) Systems Biometric Data Quality Assurance Service (BDQAS) – https://bdqas.afms.mil/index2.htm Reserved. MHS Coding Guidelines http://www.tricare.mil/ocfo/bea/ubu/coding_guidelines.cfm 3
- Travel to work location. The work is primarily sedentary. Requirements may include prolonged walking, standing, sitting or bending. Carrying or lifting of medical records may be required daily. Use of one or more computer programs and monitors may be required to efficiently accomplish duties.
With $400 million in annual revenue, 20% growth per year, approximately 950+ active contracts serving 60+ government agencies in 25 countries, 47 states, 2 territories and 2000+ employees, Cherokee Nation Businesses’ (CNB) group of Federal Contracting Section 8(a) companies is well positioned to deliver expertise needed to solve complex technical issues. Federal Solutions provides an array of services for 12 of the 15 cabinet-level departments and agencies – from applications and data services to cybersecurity and national defense.
Why consider Cherokee Nation and our Federal Solutions business? Here are some great resources highlighting what we do and compelling reasons for joining our team!
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please copy and paste the links to the following two sites: EEO Statement | EEO Poster
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may email “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, please copy and paste the following link: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
We maintain an Affirmative Action Plan for the purpose of proactively seeking employment and advancement for qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Upon request, we will schedule time to make our Affirmative Action Plan accessible. If you are interested, please submit a written request with the email subject line: 2018 Request to View Affirmative Action Plan to the Compliance Administrator at “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” This email box is not for resumes or follow up on job applications. Apply