Microbiologist I, Atlanta, GA, US, ID# 18035
Join the team who values your skills and expertise. Cherokee Nation Assurance (CNA) serves federal clients through a wide variety of health care and life sciences services. Through well-administered, well-coordinated programs, CNA takes a personalized approach with its clients, large and small. This approach gives customers the support they deserve and the quality they expect from a team that can handle every detail – a team of experts, like you.
Cherokee Nation Assurance is part of Cherokee Federal – a team of tribally owned federal contracting companies focused on building solutions, solving complex challenges, and serving the nation’s mission around the globe for more than 60 federal clients. For more information, visit cherokee-federal.com.
The Microbiologist I will provide microbiology support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Division of Viral Diseases, Polio and Picornavirus Laboratory Branch in accomplishing their mission and objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following:
- Performs a variety of laboratory procedures and experiments in microbiology and related fields to support scientific and clinical projects with public health missions.
- Performs experiments in accordance with standard methods and techniques.
- Ensures projects contain a limited number of variables and are completed by application of standard approaches and established protocols.
- Ensures proper collection of data and conducts experiments and studies, making adjustments in methods and procedures as appropriate during the course of the studies or experiments.
- Prepares routine reports on scientific data, studies and projects.
- Ensures that methods, procedures, and techniques are carefully followed, and applicable quality controls are included.
- Acquires and organizes materials and information to carry out study procedures for assigned projects. Contributes to keeping laboratory supplies inventoried and stocked.
- Ensures that assigned work is performed on expected pace to meet defined deadlines. Works closely with others to achieve project goals in a team setting.
- Calibrates and operates laboratory instruments that are necessary to perform standard procedures and experiments.
- Ensures that specimens are managed, inventoried and processed under careful and appropriate conditions to maintain integrity.
- Periodically evaluates experimental progress to determine whether data generated are accurate and valid.
- Compares results with those obtained in previous experiments and/or identifies unusual or unexpected results and their probable causes.
No supervisory/management authority.
EDUCATON AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelors of Science degree plus at least 2 years of relevant experience in biology, virology, infectious disease, immunology, molecular biology, or similar field.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Professional knowledge of microbiology and related biological fields.
- Professional skills to independently perform experiments using established methods and techniques, monitor test results, and summarize results.
- Professional skills necessary to operate automated pieces of laboratory equipment and use the electronic laboratory information system to track specimens.
- Skilled in written communications sufficient to prepare routine reports and contribute to manuscripts.
- Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment where teamwork is essential to achieving goals.
Work will be performed primarily in a climate-controlled office and laboratory environment. Apply