Program Manager and Professionally Licensed Engineer, Kadena AFB, Okinawa, Japan, ID#18641
Cherokee Nation Management and Consulting (CNMC) is a versatile small business that provides advisory and assistance services in research, experimental development, technology implementation and program management. CNMC has expertise in a wide range of technical disciplines including engineering, environmental, information and asset management, along with a variety of physical and life sciences. The company is an integral part of the Technology Divisions’ portfolio of companies. Wholly owned by the Cherokee Nation, CNMC, is part of the Cherokee Nation Businesses family of companies
Cherokee Federal (CNMC) is seeking a Program Manager and Professionally Licensed Engineer to work as part of its on-site engineering team supporting the US Air Force 718 Civil Engineering Squadron (CES) at Kadena Air Base, Japan.
Candidate will provide management, direction, administration, quality assurance, and leadership of the project execution supporting the Defense Policy Realignment Initiative (DPRI) Program Management Office (PMO). The scope of support is through planning, design, execution, and closeout.
The 718 CES engineering flight directs more than $1B in US- and host nation-funded programs. We have been supporting the 718 CES with planning, programming, design, and construction execution for last four years and have an opportunity to add a Program Manager/site-lead immediately.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Includes the following:
- As an Engineer, you will provide technical reviews of project documents, working closely with engineering firms, other senior-level engineers, technical and programmatic clients, and military leadership.
- As an Engineer, you will support technical criteria development, provide design assistance and design criteria to ensure technical adequacy, identify planning, and design deficiencies.
- As a Program Manager, you will assist in all aspects of project planning, design, acquisition, and execution, including drafting project documents, field visits, etc.
- As a Program Manager you will coordinate, and monitor accomplishment of milestones for projects such as preparation and review of Form 42s, charrette documents, criteria packages, design submittals, and design schedules, and presents project status to all levels of command, identifying problem areas and recommending or preparing corrective actions.
- As a Program Manager you will review and comment on schedules provided by GOJ and other DoD components and support agencies, integrating their information into an overall USAF DPRI master program schedule.
- Track the status of critical activities and changes to the critical path affecting the program. Monitor program milestones and interdependencies and analyze project planning and schedule updates, as well as delays using industry-accepted methodologies. Provide “alerts” on items affecting the program schedule. Facilitate and participate in regular schedule reviews; identify the critical path and suggests alternatives to regain slippage to the schedule
- Coordinates the work of various departments on individual programs to ensure that each project is completed timely, correctly, and fully.
- Maintains regular contact with customers, keeping them informed of delivery and/or production schedules, potential contract deviations, and payment status.
- Assures proactive risk mitigation measures are employed for assigned programs.
- Participates in briefings and technical meetings for internal and external representatives.
- Project work will include analysis and application of UFC and Japan-specific codes to design and construction facilities. You will serve as liaison with the Army Corps of Engineers or other design and contracting agencies, and brief senior Cherokee as well as client personnel on the status and issues of your projects. You will assist in performing technical reviews of programming documentation to ensure compliance with other applicable programming documentation and/or laws/codes/regulation/guides
- As a Supervisor, you will provide supervision of all contractor employees including work assignments and provide oversight of contractor employee productivity, behavior, and attendance.
- You will of course be called upon to perform other work-related tasks as part of the team.
- Supervises assigned program management personnel. Sets goals and decides areas of responsibility for assigned projects(s). Assigns and directs work. Determines the means, methods, and materials for performing work. Plans the work operation
- Provide mentorship, peer review assistance, and technical and professional leadership to colleagues.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in engineering with a minimum of ten (10) years of program management job experience –OR– Master’s level degree with a major in engineering and a minimum of five (5) years job experience performing similar program management tasks is required.
- Current United States Professional Engineer (PE) license in Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, or Fire Protection discipline is required
- Experience working with US military/DoD facilities in Japan and knowledge of Japanese design codes/standards is highly desired
- Ability to converse in Japanese language is highly desired
- A Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is desired
- Previous experience with Military Construction (MILCON) programs is desired
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Candidates must be US citizens
- Candidates will be subject to a US federal government background investigation and must favorably pass a drug screen.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a US Air Force NACI/SF85 for unescorted access to on-base facilities and access to government computer systems.
- Engineering experience with designs/ design reviews
- Project management experience with similar complexity on US Air Force, Army, Navy, or Marine Corps base.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment of working across disciplines such as contracting, engineering, finance, contractors, and stakeholders so proactively manage project cost, schedule, and quality.
- Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed written or oral instructions.
- Accounting software, Database software, Human Resource system, word processing software, Internet software, Contract Management systems, Design software, and spreadsheet software.
- Interpersonal skills; telephone skills; patience; problem solving skills; attention to detail; organization skills; accuracy; time management.
- Excellent English communication and computer skills.
- Office environment on US military base in Japan, using government-provided computers and office space with the possibility of outdoor work during different environmental conditions.
- Requires local travel to project sites on Okinawa.
About Cherokee Federal:
Cherokee Federal – a division of Cherokee Nation Businesses – is a team of tribally owned federal contracting companies focused on building solutions, solving complex challenges, and serving the nation’s mission around the globe for more than 60 federal clients. Our team of companies manages nearly 1,000 projects of all sizes across the construction, consulting, engineering and manufacturing, health, and technology portfolios.
Since 2012, the Cherokee Federal team of companies has won more than $5 billion in government contracts. Our 3,000+ employees work in 26 countries, 50 states and 2 U.S. territories.
Why choose Cherokee Federal? Visit our website and learn about the great reasons to join our team. cherokee-federal.com
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please copy and paste the links to the following two sites: EEO Statement | EEO Poster; https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf and https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/ofccp_eeo_supplement_final_jrf_qa_508c.pdf
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may e-mail CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, please copy and paste the following link: Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision; https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_%20English_formattedESQA508c.pdf
We maintain an Affirmative Action Plan for proactively seeking employment and advancement for qualified protected veterans and individuals with disabilities. Upon request, we will schedule time to make our Affirmative Action Plan accessible. If you are interested, please submit a written request with the email subject line: 2020 Request to View Affirmative Action Plan to the Compliance Administrator at “CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com” This email box is not for resumes or follow up on job applications.